RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Morrisey Bravo Build
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

So I want to tell you about something that has had me confused for the past few days...

Waiting for epoxy or glue to dry often gets me to start other tasks in the build process now that I have a much larger build table. So a few days ago, I decided to frame up the vertical stabilizer. I don't know if you build like me, but often I just look at the plans without looking at the instruction booklet and start framing things out. Making note of the dimensional wood I need off the plans, I go to the "wood pile" and select all of the materials that I need. In this case, most of the vertical stabilizer is framed with 5/16" x 1/2" stock with only a small lower portion of its base to be clad in 1/8" sheeting, the rest is left open to get covered in whatever material (fabric or plastic) that you choose. Nowhere in the kit did I find any such dimensional stock. I know I didn't lose it, it's possible that it got lost over time especially considering the age and multiple owners of this kit. (5/16" stock is not easily found today at LHS these days.)

It was also curious to me that other builders (through photographs) built their stabs differently. It appeared they all sheeted their entire stabilizer, or so I thought. I didn't think much of it at the time. It was also puzzling to me that I had left over two 3/8" thick printed sheets that I couldn't figure out where it went. So at this point I decided to read the instruction booklet. It made no mention of sheeting the stab, and it made no mention as to what the left over 3/8" printed wood was for. Then I had an idea, I looked at the printed wood and it appeared that if I cut out and assembled the pieces together that it would resemble the stabilizer. So I think I have solved my dilemma, the entire vertical stabilizer is made from this solid 3/8" thick Balsa and that there must have been revisions made to the plans. I must have the first "original" type of plans! I have since investigated and checked with other Bravo plans and sure enough it shows up differently. Mystery solved!

I hope that this helps others that might have the same problem...

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-21-2017 at 12:34 PM.