RCU Forums - View Single Post - setting up a workshop!! Need ideas!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Extra 300,

I agree 100% about having enough lights, plus add electrical points every 2 meters along the walls. Even where you might be storing. It makes charging very easy when you can do that with the model in it's storage space. A few other 'must have' I won't compromise on:

- Get the floor finished in a light coloured, smooth, but non-slip surface.
- Dedicate a section for storage. You don't want to mix working area and storage area if at all possible.
- Put all your bench tools along a wall with tool/parts shelves below and tool hanging above it against the wall.
- If possible get a worktop that you can sit at along the wall somewhere.
- Dedicate the maximum open space in the center of your working area so that you can use movable workbenches and or model stands there. This will become the most used space in your workshop as it is for building, assembly and preflight checking. If you have a roof/ceiling height that changes in your workshop - I suggest you position this area under the highest spot. Height is very important as you never have to worry about picking up and manoeuvring your models inside the workshop. (Especially as they are getting bigger all the time). Make sure you have very good access in and out of this area. In my workshop I have a 3m garage door on two sides of it. This also improves ventilation and you can even test run your models very close to your workshop.

A note on storage. There are many options and no doubt everyone uses the method that works best for them in their situation. For me - after trying many different options; I make a PVC pipe storage/carry/transport stand for every one of my jet models. This allows me to store them in shelves like a 'morgue' and put everything belonging to that model with it. I can charge them in there, then slide them out and transfer them into my model van for transport or onto a workbench or model stand.

Like everything customised - a successful result is directly related to the planning and preparation you put into it. List everything you have, then write down how you would like to handle it, then see where your space will give you what you need.

Good luck and enjoy,

Jan

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 03-24-2017 at 07:03 PM.