RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bud Nosen Citabria 40 Kit Build
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I'm back! My how life just keeps getting in the way of living! Too much OT again on a stressful project; had to do two to three weeks worth of work in one week. Got it done though. And in my off time, to get rid of some of that stress and get my mind off of work, I went flying. But now that the OT is done, for the time being anyway, I was able to get a little more done on the Citabria. I once again measured and remeasured the stab then, when I got tired of measure, I epoxied it down. Did the same with the fin, setting it up at 0° incidence and square to the stab... which took a bit of sanding and shimming! Yeah, there was just enough twist in the fuse to throw it off. SHEESH! And one other thing I did was to rebuild the elevator. It was not straight from tip to tip, and the glue used (aliphatic) was cracking and chipped out rather easily. So since the dowel holding the two halves together was not flush with the LE of the elevator, I decided to cut another and epoxied it in place with Gel Magic. Love that stuff! Takes a while to cure, but that don't bother me none, I'm slow enough for it.

Note the dowel. Got a couple gaps, but I can just fill those. The dowel will not come lose now!

The fin was not glued down in these photos. When I was eye-balling everything I noticed a good lean in the fin, so I went to work. It's "Gel Magic-ed" in place now. I'll let it cure overnight. Got some vacation time coming, maybe I'll get a little more done, who knows!

And just for fun: Two Saturdays ago we were able to watch a buddy maiden his new pattern ship. That thing was flying great! Steady as a rock, straight ahead rolls... He could fly low too!
https://youtu.be/UBGR1CitRbk