RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl goldberg sukhoi su26mx 72.5"wing kit
Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There were 2 versions of this plane that I know of. The first version had the landing gear in the wing, the second had a landing gear plate just in front of the wing.

I built the first version many years ago. Not the best design, really just because of that landing gear. The newer version was much easier to handle from what I gathered. Mine was an excellent flyer though once you got the wing on... which is one piece... and builds very strong and light.

I have to say that engine is a the small side of the scale though... way small. If memory serves that was a 1.20 specced model... which even that was small in my opinion. I put a Moki 1.80 in my Sukhoi, and it was perfect. Very strong flyer, fully unlimited. I can't imagine that plane with a 1.00 glow.. that's about 16cc I believe... I wouldn't even venture that if the plane was built as light as could be.

I also remember replacing the cowling, and the under-cowl(under the wing).. with fiberglass components... I'm sure I went with Stans.. but they're gone, so check Fiberglass Specialties if you need. If it's a newer kit, the cowl components were better then what I had in my first generation Sukhoi... which mine were ABS if memory serves. Goldberg came out with some newer composite/fiberglass material they put into newer kits.. so its hard to say what you have.

So yeah... I would question the choice of engine. It's a real nice plane when built well though... no doubt about it.