RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Been flying both of my CARF Tutor's for a couple of years now, but I must say that I have reached a point were I'm very dissatisfied with the original landing system and I'm ready for a change. The original Behotec 50 system just bends too easily and creates instances as the landing system not opening and having to make emergency landings.

I have been reading that some of you are installing trailing links...... how are these systems working for you ? It kind of kills the scale look of the plane but it sure represents a good alternative. I have these system in my CARF Marchetti and really like it.

Any special brand of trailing links that you recommend ? Any help on the matter would be appreciated.
Hi Gonzalo

Yes I would go for the Behotec, trailing links and if you think you are interested in the electrics they work fine too. I don't have my Tutor anymore. Will one day get another. They look so great in the sky. Can't be Canadian and not have some appeal for these aircraft.

I battled the straight strut and those high Intarico wheels long enough. I don't know why Andreas went with those rock hard tires on them, but if you get the ones Thomas designed for that set they are a little less diameter but they have a lot more give to them then the Intaricos.

Here are just my thoughts only on those original design, again opinion guys we all have and are allowed to voice one.

I think the Intarico wheels with the straight struts give it either a 0 degree or slightly negative AoA. I know some guys have cut the some of the coils out of the springs of the mains to help with AoA. I have also known fellows that have ground off some of the rubber off of the tires for less grab.

If you have ever experienced the skating back and forth down the runway from side to side, or just come in a little too hot on landing that can create a real problem for this airframe. As I have said before in this thread, it doesn't take much for this one to have a little bounce and have it roll over on it's back for a messy splash all over the runway. What I am mentioning here is all pavement operations. I have lost 3 total so I do know about some of the characteristics of this plane. Not any trouble on grass did I experience.

I get what you say about not destroying the scale look about putting in the trailing links, but I think you would rather have an aircraft that takes the ground operations of taking off and landing, and lose a little scale looks, than losing the aircraft because of the poor ground handling qualities that can arise out those past installations.

I can't say anything about the new gear and wheels they offer on the Tutors now from the different supplier they have, but one thing those wheels aren't even close to looking scale. They badly suck in my opinion.

My 2 cents and good luck
Alan