RCU Forums - View Single Post - Profi 2014 F2A first run
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Profi 2014 F2A first run

Just a teaser run in the evening on the deck, since I had just finished getting it attached to the test stand.. I had to use the speed pan and some fasteners but finally got it figured out. Put a pressure tap on the pipe seam.

5% fuel, 25% total oil, Profi 10% head (not FAI) and Nelson HD plug. ZZprop .15 bench prop.. 5.75" dia by some rudimentary diamond airfoil blade with maybe 2" pitch. The Uctkam runs about 30.5k on it.

Second bump with the starter it took off immediately (cantankerous speed engines..) into a rich 19,500-20,000 exactly as the pre-stage rpm on the c/l F2A's sounds. I let everything warm up and stabilize then started cranking in - I had the NV cranked wide open and was using the Jett remote NV behind the engine. Very predictable just like the Picco .40.. it hopped up to a bit over 31k, but it was still coughing smoke and acting like it was coiling a spring.

I remember Bill Hughes saying "you'll be surprised when it stages the first time..". I said cool, but I was used to running the OPS .65 and this and that. He just said "you're still gonna be surprised".

Next thing I knew wham!.. 35,36,37,37.2,37.3k.. I jumped

A couple of seconds of that then I cranked the needle open and pulled the line. Oh.... it was so swee-e-e-e-t! It is a monster.. still rich it topped t he Uctkam by 6.4k.