RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA - Just 250 words in FAA Report on Drone Safety
Old 04-29-2017, 02:53 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Donny ,

I will not speak for Franklin , but for quite some time now Franklin has been advocating for the AMA to do two things ;

Properly enforce it's already written rules (things like pulling the turbine waiver from the mayhem field guy , for example) , with the public being informed of any and all corrective action(s) taken
and ,
for the AMA to keep accurate , public records of all incidents , with the idea that specific hard data can lead to better ideas of how to prevent such crashes/incidents , the less "mayhem" the better for the hobby's public and FAA image .

I personally do agree with both of Franklin's ideas , with the one caveat that as I've said in the past I highly doubt anyone will be reporting any incident that doesn't leave a "Paper Trail" , so a crash database would naturally only include those crashes bad enough for an injury or property damage insurance claim . This leaves out what I'd bet would be the 98% of all RC crashes ; single plane into the ground/fixed object with no injury/property damage being reported . In all reality , I know of not one person , myself included , who would report a dumb thumb rekitting of a model plane that didn't leave a paper trail along with the Balsa trail so maybe that right there should be the threshold of reporting , no report for the spreading of the Balsa confetti unless the cost of the crash is more than the value of the unfortunate now former model airplane .