RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Morrisey Bravo Build
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you are progressing well. I would like to add a little to your glassing process if you do not mind. I too use the Zpoxy as it is easy to come by and works well. According to West systems thinning epoxy should never be done with solvent as it weakens the strength by more than 1/2. However, for our purposes if you are going to thin then the use of a solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner is preferred. I prefer acetone at about 25% to the mixed epoxy, the reason for this is acetone will flash off from the epoxy where alcohol contains water and it will be trapped under the epoxy sometimes never allowing it to cure completely. I only use one coat then a light sanding with 150 grit sandpaper to smooth out any rough spots where I may have added too much epoxy or gotten a run or two. The next trick is to use autobody primer filler, available at your local auto parts or body shop supplier. I reduce it by 25% then paint on with a cheap chip brush. This a much heavier primer than the stuff in spray cans and you need to use a respirator. When this dries, (15 min) I wet sand the entire part with 220 grit until the primer is almost completely sanded off. What will be left behind is the primer that went into the weave of the glass not filled by the epoxy. A final coat of the same primer thinned to spray consistency and then wet sanded with 400 grit will leave you with a surface smooth as 100yr old single malt scotch. Any areas that need touching up because the epoxy and primer did not fill in I spot putty with 3M glazing compound.