RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 11:38 AM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
I've seen this plane for sale on a couple forums I think. I have trouble pulling the trigger at that price mainly because of concerns over the size being too small for 20's and honestly some negative comments on it's construction. I am handcuffed without the ability to put my hands on the model and satisfy myself over the "unknowns" and I don't see where anyone has actually put 20's together with this kit. The recommendations are much smaller. I did put a 20 in my 60 size Top Flite like you did and your right it fly's awesome but I knew others had done it and there were some serious mods to get the weight distribution right. I wonder about the 38 and as tight as it is if 20's would be just too much weight up front to deal with on this size kit.

I think I have seen some old posts for a 90 inch kit, if I'm not imagining it, that would be a more comfortable size for the engine combination. Thank you for your help because I am serious about wanting to do this project and I welcome a serious conversation from anyone with first hand knowledge or resources I can go check out.

I had this kit with DLE 20 RA's and it was a little powerhouse. Ran beautifully..... However, two issues arose. One as with the cowling of the motors. With the cowls off, there were no problems, with them on, I really had to baffle them to keep from getting overheated. And with two, it was real finicky because if one got hotter than the other, it messed everything up.

The second issue was the construction. Kind of a pain with the servos set in the booms. If I had to do over again, I would put the servos for the rear of the plane in the tail and horizontal stab.