RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Perhaps because May, who was also on his first combat mission, had attacked Manfred von Richthofen's plane? The sources I've seen give May's nickname as "Wop." No idea why: his name was Wilfred.

Edit: I meant Wolfram, of course, not Manfred. I think FlyerInOKC has got it right.
Top_Gunn; it's just my opinion, of course; but I think that's what happened. Lots of books from noted authors talk about the mystery of why Richthofen broke his own rule. Both May and Wolfram were on their first combat flight and both had been told to "Stay high and out of the fight. If you think you have an easy target, make one diving pass and keep going and head for home. Don't try to dogfight". Wolfram dove on a British plane, but then May went after Wolfram. Richthofen saw what happened and went after May. It makes sense. Richthofen was having trouble with his guns jamming and stayed after May way too long. He paid the price.

Okay; I'm done. I simply wanted to add a new thought to the whole "mystery" of the Red Baron's last flight. The floor is now with our new friend, FlyerinOKC. Thanks; Ernie P.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 05-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.