RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prowler boat build
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mwohlenhaus
Does anyone have any pictures of their zippkits stinger set up, or a description of how it is done. My question is referring to the flex shaft to ferrule to straight shaft fit. Where does the thrust washer go in the grand scheme of things. With the thrust washer what kind of gap should I leave for the square drive flex shaft to wind up? My understanding of the setup is that tapered side of the ferrule gets soldered onto flex cable, the set screw side goes into the 1/4 shaft/file the shaft so the set screws recess in their holes. Shaft goes through the stinger then washer-bearing-washer-dog-prop-nut. A picture is worth a thousand words. I ran into a snag when I called zippkits for prop recommendation. The prop he suggested was for a 454 sport for 3/16 shaft. He further explained and it made sense that boat props are not like airplane props, they need rpm's and if too big a prop is used the motor will heat up. So i am now going to need to machine down the 1/4" shaft to accept the 3/16 prop bore/drive dog. Assembly will in essence still be the same though.
I had the same problem once and just bored out the prop and drive dog to 1/4" from the 3/16" It's only 1/16",meaning 1/32 on each side of the prop bore.I used a couple of bits to get to 1/4" and didn't take it all at one time.
I even bore out the 10-32 water fittings to 1/8" to get more water flow when using 5/32 water lines.

Last edited by Tidnab; 05-27-2017 at 02:34 AM.