RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE 20 with #4 ignition issues
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Fletch88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20 with #4 ignition issues

So after pulling my hair out for 2 weeks with an almost nib dle I purchased a few weeks ago I ran across a thread on this site about the "dreaded" # 4 ignition module. I have tweaked, tuned, replaced spark plugs, pulled fuel tank and lines, removed voltage regulator, and everything in between only to never make it off the ground with my 60 size Great Planes Stick I modded to use this dle 20 on. The engine cranks and idles perfectly. If I can ever get it through mid range it runs top end somewhat ok but not great. Then when I chop throttle it will come down, up, sputter and go all over the place without butterfly ever moving on the carb. The 30 year veteran I bought it from says he never ran it but should be fine and that I am the problem with me and my screwdrivers! Finally he and another gas "expert" tried to help me get it going Saturday and saw first hand what it was and wasn't doing. They concluded it was the reed valves since it ran good on low and high end but not the middle. I took that apart, honed the seats with an Arkansas stone and that did not make any difference.
I have a brand new ignition in my doorstep that I will be trying this afternoon then a new carb coming just in case. I have been trying to get this bird up in the air for over 2 weeks now and have all but given up on this particular DLE. Any suggestions?