RCU Forums - View Single Post - F104g 1:4 scale
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damo, I am curious now about your elevator set up. My internal structure kind of limits me to an external linkage though, plus I want the stab to be easy to remove. I make all of my control horns out of G10, so the forward half of the stab rib will be two pieces of G10 with the ball link attached on the lower edge of the stab, sort of internal so that all you see is the rod going into the stab. All I have to do then is unscrew the servo arm to remove it.

I got the last biggest job of the construction done before glassing, the gear door fiberglass piece is glued to the fuselage! Finishing is going to be a real treat on this thing, I'm kind of tired of building now! lol!

One major thing about the gear doors is the hinging, the hinge line must be perfectly straight, I did this after the fact by removing the ends of the formers near the gear doors and gluing in a square spruce stick, this straightened the balsa. Now I can use the micro piano hinges, I am not anticipating any problems with the doors at this point, I've already tested the Airworld linkage for aft gear doors and it works great. I just hope I bought the right air cylinders for the main gear doors.

I made a plug for an exhaust nozzle, it is lacking some detail, but I wanted to be able to vacuum form it and not have it get stuck. I may just lay fiberglass inside it and leave it or I may use it as a mold and make a fiberglass one. Either way it is so far away from the turbine pipe I think you could leave it plastic to save weight. The plastic I use is specially treated high quality plastic made for outdoor sign use, so it is very durable. With some extra work and Mirce rivets, I could add some decent detail very easily.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00350c.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2219856   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00351c.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2219857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00354.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	2219858  

Last edited by dionysusbacchus; 01-05-2018 at 07:24 PM.