RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carbon on Exhaust Valve
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Nitrovein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Should have said carbon based lubricant midnights will do that to ya LOL

I wondered the same thing when I contacted Central Hobbies and YS Performance and was told it gummed up and effected the silicon parts in the YS regulator. Since they are the sales/repair depot and have been at it forever I figure they have an idea what they are talking about. The team from Japan had a factory mechanic and he stated the same thing. Caster Synthetic blend was not good for the parts in the regulator.

Yes and those engines that run large ratios of nitromethane are purpose built to do so. Standard built engines, which our model engines are, run best with a methanol/nitro mix. With no mechanical overdrive to pack more air/oxygen into the cylinder a saturation point is reached and no amount of extra fuel/nitro will make more hp. Even the supercharged drag racers end up pumping raw fuel out the exhaust that is what you see as flames coming out the headers. Unburnt fuel. Our little compression timed engines have no timing adjustments, cams and cam timing is fixed. I doubt there is much advantage if any after 30 to 40% nitro. My opinion only.
You could not mix RC fuel without carbon being present, it's what happens during combustion that matters.

I could believe that regulator can be gummed up from castor oil, but there is no reason why it should chemically affect any silicone parts.

If comparing larger engine, the only difference between a nitromethan feed engine and others are the ignition that's pretty stout on those.
The stoichiometric ratio doesn't change just because the engine changes in size or a blower is added.
With short exhaust like on a dragster, many gasoline or methanol engines will also spit flames. But most of what's seen on a Top Fuel dragster is hydrogen burning after the pressure has separated water.
They don't run any variable valve timing on those engines either, would be more then a handful to get that to work on one of those engines.
If you add more energy to a combustion, something is bound to happen.