RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone build a flying lawn mower?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Zonker40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Qwerty3. That is good to know. I may not want to go in the doghouse direction, but I still do like Snoopy. My brother and I put on a mock combat at our Open house: Snoopy doll in my SE5 and a Barron with a pointed helmet in a German biplane. He has power on me with his 2 stroke OS .56 while I am running an ASP .52 4-stroke. We pull 30 foot streamers on 20 feet of string. Can't even get close with the turning performance on our 58" span models. Anyway, I finally tried to fly my lawnmower today. Spiro told me to set the CG at 5 3/4" behind the LE. On the first try, I couldn't get it off the ground (paved runway) - ran off the runway into the weeds holding full up (about 3/4" of up). I had 13 oz of lead in the nose to set the balance point. I took off 3 oz and set the elevator servos at 150% of travel. On the second try, I got off the ground, but had to hold 3/4 up travel, which made it very difficult to be smooth on the turns. I was diving and climbing all over the place. Before I could get it lined up from downwind to final, I finally lost it. Will be a major rebuild job on the right wing leading edge, the fuselage, and one false wheel. I feel that it would have flown OK if I hadn't had all that weight in the nose. I was running an ASP .52 on 15% nitro and a Master Airscrew 11x5 prop. I had plenty of power, just bad control harmony and old reflexes. At least it hit on the other side of the river where I could get to it instead of in the full river. Back to the repair board, but it won't make the Open House this weekend. I will fly my .40 size aerobatic canard, the Zonker 40, instead. It is odd enough I saw someone here mention a manual. I would like to know where the manual puts the CG (this is a slightly different lawnmower than the V2, but it is based on the V2). The on-line manual link gives me a file not found, and I didn't get any manual with my lawnmower. Thanks guys. Milt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	2221060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	2221061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1.33 MB