RCU Forums - View Single Post - Larger Revolver
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 AM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjbotox
Re: Hobby Eagle Gyro
On memorial day, I got 5 good flights in - then the fuel soaked wheel plank came off. Yes, yes I ignored all the advise on the importance of reinforcing this area. I did so knowing I would HAVE to some day but I wanted to save weight and see how long the stock install lasted... NOT LONG!! Maybe the electric guys can skip this. So for just a few oz's more, aircraft ply and slathered epoxy solved this problem.

Next I put the Hobby Eagle Super II gyro in. This is the only gyro other than the Guardian recommended for nitro/gas planes under $60. I have 3 full flights so far and am NOT happy. There's a 1/2 second latency response in aileron and elevator stick movement. This was a terrifying experience, but after I leaned into the delay I had control enough to keep landing, checking and trying again. The rudder is also hooked in but it works fine. Really straight landings with auto-crab! I'm reconnecting to computer to make some changes in the software tonight. I admit, this plane flies well without a crutch but I just wanted to try something different. So far the only advice is to add more vibration isolation - and I'll try that too.

Here's where it's mounted, and held down with factory sticky tape

That's actually kinda scary.. I don't think i'll be using a gyro then well not unless the winds start to get nutty over here which isn't often.