RCU Forums - View Single Post - Festo on suction side of pump
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 03:50 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Well....... I have to disagree. (it's not an urban myth)

Yes, a push-in festo, with a new hose, cut nice, works just fine on the suction side. FOR A WHILE. You may be fine for a season or two... but then... you may have a flight where you don't seem to get full power. Or even a flame out !! As your hoses age, they will sink in a little where the O-ring mates, and the O-ring it self may become hard and flatten as Kero soaks it. Then... if you get a little slime in your fuel, or just normal junk starts to plug your bubble tank... that will drive the vac level higher than when you first put it together. Also... If you look on Festo's info... push-in connectors are not rated for vac... only pressure. Either way... it COULD end in a dead model. (so why even chance it?)

This has been a debate for a while... but in general... it works for a while, and then causes issues as the model ages.

This is kind of like using the festo fuel filters. Some guys like them... but a few of us have had them fail in a catastrophic way.

The choice is up to you, but personally... I will stick with barbed fittings, with safety wire on the suction side. I have too much time/money in my models to be one of the 2% that finds issue.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your feedback. This is kind of what I've always heard and personally thought was the case. That said, after posting this thread, a few guys have sent me the Festo documentation and apparently they are rated for vacuum. I was under the impression they weren't too. You do make a good point about peace of mind though, I'll have to give it some more thought.

sc