RCU Forums - View Single Post - High KV in a boat?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 PM
RainClod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Got RPM
This is not exactly true, especially in boats which draw far more current than any highly-geared 'crawler. Boats aren't trucks. Plenty of FE boaters think that part throttle is easier on their components than full throttle - not so at all. I have witnessed burn downs several times with new club members, and it is common to hear about on the high-traffic FE boat forum. But don't believe me, here is what one of the largest manufacturers of quality brushless ESCs has to say on the topic:

" A speed controller controls power to the motor by turning full throttle current on and off really fast, 11 to 13 thousand times per second (Pulse Width Modulation or PWM). The percentage of each on/off pulse that is off compared to the part that is on determines how much power the motor sees. I.E. With a pulse that is 50% off and 50% on the motor will see 50% power. Because each on pulse is 100% of full throttle current, a system set to pull 20 amps at full throttle through a Phoenix 10 will not last if you are throttled back to the point where you only see 10 amps on a wattmeter. The ESC in this case is still switching 20 amps, which it can’t do for long. Actually it is worse than the simple example above. Because an electric motor will always to try to pull as much power as is available to get to its rpm (volts times Kv), when you are running the motor below its Kv speed by switching power on an off, each on pulse will actually be way over the full throttle amp draw... Castle Creations"

My setups use brushless heli esc's with very high pwm and 12 pole motors. My jet sprint which has an water cooled motor mount with an ntm 2836 2700kv outrunner on 3s runs on a 60A heli esc that is potted and water cooled .You can draw 80A through it no problem all day with water cooling. On jet boats water cooling comes from the compression section of the nozzle so it is fast and consistant. Neither my motor, esc and battery (graphene) ever get even slightly warm.
My brushed bby ovalmaster offshore mono runs 05 lightning man neo 13/3 motor it has brush coolers and can coolers. The motor get prop wash pickup cooling and the esc (vintage rc hydros (6-12nimh) 60A esc) gets rudder pickup cooling.
This boat will still give brushless boat a run for their money. It runs on 6-8 cells and the motor held several world records at one time. This boat get wide open throttle treament it is insane on 7 cells with an x437.
Rc jet boats get run typically ¼ throttle .Setup properly nothing gets warm ever.

Last edited by RainClod; 06-28-2017 at 07:37 AM.