RCU Forums - View Single Post - Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board
Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Peregrine7
That's great news, but to me it's kind of useless without the OP sound card and scoutESC. Any update on progress there, and if hobbyking would also produce those to make it a package deal?
ESCs are SUPER cheap and I'm actually glad they were separated from the main board. I like modular systems and this is exactly how I like it. I understand others may not like it, but it is the most economical way to build a system. You can use your own high quality or super cheap ESCs, waterproof brushed ones are under $10 each these days for ~20A or so and are plenty for the tanks. This also leaves more options for brushless as well for larger tanks or just for poos and giggles. The sound card issue I don't see a big deal atm, you have the Benedini and soon the Taigen card (in a month or so from the US) which will hold over just fine for now. Also, diagnosing issues is a TON easier with modular pieces you can take out and check one piece at a time as well as fixing. No need to send in the whole board or buy a new one because you got some bigger motors than you should of run
Now don't get me wrong, the Scout is great (amazing actually, Luke did a TOP JOB on it!) but you also have other options to use as well as a Sabertooth, Polulu, and any brushed/brushless ESC you want. This in my opinion is a much better option as you can build to your budget or goal. This way you are not stuck to a certain scale, your ESCs determine the power you can push. Modular is also a lot easier to test and diagnose too. I think the OP project is probably the best thing the tank community has had in a LONG time. We now have some amazing code (which btw just wait until you drive with the TCB, it is a very pleasing experience) to experiment with, share, and modify as well tons of options for the future. Being open source and open hardware it is totally possible to redesign the TCB as well to include motor drivers and a sound card. Personally I think OP is doing it right by going modular first.