RCU Forums - View Single Post - Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board
Old 07-11-2017, 01:26 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the board is only single-sided (by which I mean the components only go on one side). And yes, you can order bare PCBs from OSH Park for a very reasonable price, this is true not only of the Scout but all the Open Panzer designs including the TCB. The links are all on the Downloads page, but here is where you can order the Scout ESC PCBs ($24 for three boards).

The Scout is relatively easy to assemble if you are experienced with such things, but the motor driver chips have heatsink pads on the underside that can't be accessed with a soldering iron, so you really need to reflow them. Honestly once you try it you realize reflow is even easier than hand soldering. I use a cheap $20 hot plate I got from the grocery store and this solder paste. It also definitely helps to have use a stencil, you can purchase one from OSH Stencils.

Obviously this is not for everyone but if you are comfortable soldering and can place small components, it is straightforward.

If anyone decides to tackle such a thing please feel free to start a thread over on the OP Forums and I will try to give tips and advice throughout the process.

PS: This guy ordered a bunch of boards so you can see what they look like.

Last edited by LukeZ; 07-11-2017 at 01:32 PM.