RCU Forums - View Single Post - Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board
Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 AM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry, I think Springman was probably referring to previous comments about ESCs and not speaking about you specifically!

Some general comments on the Scout ESC for those who might be interested. The other serial controllers, namely the Sabertooth line and the Pololu ESCs are excellent products and the only reason I even attempted my own design was because I knew it could be made for far less than what those are being sold for. I understand they are in business to make a profit but when you know the component prices the markup they are charging is really drastic. Of course, a cheaper price is only an advantage if you can actually buy the Scout, which right now you can't. So that's really only a hypothetical advantage. (I'm afraid building them by hand in small quantities won't save you very much.)

The secondary reason was to have control of the operation that open source software allows. At first this didn't seem like such a big deal since after all, how often do we want to re-program our ESCs. But in fact it has already been beneficial. For example, the new Taigen gearboxes, when installed in heavier models, simply do not allow the model to turn with anything other than a turn-in-place (super spin). This is kind of a big deal breaker if you can only drive your model in a straight line. But by modifying the firmware on the Scout we are able to compensate for this deficiency. That's not something you can do with any other controller.

If you want to tweak your Scout you can also set a custom current limit to anything you want. Perhaps you don't want your model drawing more than 7 amps, set the limit to 7 amps. The Scout will stop when it hits that level. Or maybe you don't need a fan, but you'd like to fade an LED or control some other small unidirectional motor (maybe a rotating antenna array). Since we have control of the software, we can easily re-purpose the fan output to those uses instead.

Most people don't need any of this sort of foolishness and the Scout works as-is. But it can also accommodate those who like to tinker. And who knows what novel ideas someone may come up with, that we could incorporate in the future.

So that's the story on the Scout... which for now however remains in un-obtainium purgatory.