RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 03:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I finally got ambitious and swapped the failing OS 52 out in my LT-40 with the Saito FG-11. It was nearly a direct swap, instead of using the mount that came with the FG, so that I didn't have to pop out T-nuts and drill new holes, I had a spare SIG mount and used that instead. The Saito isthe same width as the OS, though the mounting holes were slightly different so couldn't use the same mount. That and had to move the throttle cable down a bit. Got a 300cc tank, a dual output Life that I used in the T-clips with this engine, and some foam, it fits nice and snug just slightly ahead of CG, and put the ignition module right under the tank and battery. The Optikill is right on the cg. After everything was in place I stuck it on the Vanessa rig and no additional weight was needed, balance was right around 3 and 3/4", most rearward BP is 4 1/4", so right where I want it.

I flew the Clips on a 13 x 8 APC, but that size is just a hair too large for the LT-40 so stuck a 12 x 6 APC on it. Took it to my bench and got it all trimmed out, tuned and runs really good. I didn't have my tach, but its right around 9K RPM at WOT. Have really good throttle transition, and can go vertical all day. Still running 16:1 fuel mix, so it got a little messy, but next gallon will be at the 20:1 ratio now that I am satisfied with the lubrication, and the engine is upright instead of inverted like it was in the clips.I ran extra oil just to make sure it got into the crankcase.

I should get 40-50 minutes per tank, and hopefully with the larger prop, a bit better performance, maybe even longer hang times. I love how this little engine runs and so happy that it didn't break when the Clips took a dive.