RCU Forums - View Single Post - A long time coming
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 07:39 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A long time coming

Back in 1959 - 63 (my high school years) I got involved with a bunch of fellows who became quite fanatic about controlline combat But these were not AMA or any other sanctioned events just informal flying at the school football field during off season over those years we actually used four different high schools in the LA area Covina, West Covina, Northview and Charter Oak. Each week we would alternate between those schools (they were not very far apart and you could usually bum a ride. I we did end up with quite a few fellows from all four schools and these informal matchs well a high light of my school years.

Unfortunately after graduation and moving on to college these wonderful times stopped as we all drifted different directions. I never did completely drop controlline over the years always making every effort to keep a hand in here and there but never agine with someone else in the circle and never really understanding just how much I missed that.

Well dang that was I guess over fifty years ago but along come a young fellow who I have been mentoring with some types of RC disciplines and he showed an interest in Ukie, An excellent student he has done very well and dang recently if we did not get to talking about flying Two Up not combat or racing but just simple To Up flying.

On of my favorite flyers for about the last 12 years is a magician with a throttled OS .40 FP and Jason has acquired and old Magician And since he used throttled engines on his growing fleet He also used a throttled .40FP Well after much planning we gave it a go two weeks ago with success, simple two up flying. Ended up that day with four flights and gradually improving our technique and communication. Wow what a wonderfull feeling .

Agine this morning we were able to do three flights and this time was able to enlist someone to get a few pics. Will get a few up on this post in about an hour.

John