RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There was a picture? and i missed it? Hmmm

Originally Posted by the pope
Is she available for loan ? Just for spotting purposes ? Or does she have sister . The pope is single again .
Actually, she has a twin sister, but she is a total opposite.

Originally Posted by Moneypitts
Yep, Right thread. Had to go back to the beginning and make sure I was in the right room. Thought, I'm over 50, lets hop to the end of this very old thread and see whats happnin! Not sure but seemed this thing had taken a left turn somewhere. Well, I went back a few pages and found out you guys are still wrecking planes, so I suppose I'm in the right room. I am over 50, but new to the hobby. I scratch built an Ugly Stick back in the 70s, but my grades in school sucked and my parents wouldn't buy me the Radio/electronics to make it work. It ended up in the trash can after several years. Now I am making up for lost time and I have myself and my 11 year old son involved. Yes, I have an 11 year old. The child in me refused to get married until I was at least 30...that turned into almost 40 and here we are. I have had quite a few electrics (may some of them rest in pieces) ...best of the bunch is a Carbon Z Prometheus 2P and the Carbon Z Cub. My son's favorite is the 1.2 m Trojan T-28 and a couple weeks ago we met a 2.3 meter Carbon Z Trojan that is a real beute, so I think it will be in the stable when I get home from work. (I work in Egypt) I guess I have rather fallen into the Spektrum/E-Flite crowed.

My first, and so far, only ARF build was the Great Planes Waco YMF 5 D. First Day at the field, I pancaked it on the 3rd flight. It sure flys nice. Saito FG 40 four stroke gas. Got it all fixed up, and I must say, I am pretty good at the repair business. While I was doing that, I also installed a Power Box smoke system and from things learned on forums ripped out all my switches and put in higher quality ones. Its also got dual batteries for the reciever and servos along with dual switches. I guess I am trying do to any and everything I can with this first build to learn. Good thing I am good at repairing cause next time out with it, I flew just a little too close to one of the little barrier fences at our field on landing and now I get to repair it again. But, the extra weight of the smoke system seems to have had very little effect on its flight characteristics. Still flew like a dream. I am hoping third time out is a charm and I can enjoy it without wrecking it. Now that I am an expert at building and repairing, I have an RC Guys 33% Pitts in the Box at home to start. It will be full of all the goodies as well as either a Saito 61Ts (twin) Gas or Valach 60cc Gas...both for strokes.

I feel like a johnson I keep wrecking my Waco, but I see from those at my field and here on the forums its just part of doing business. Doesn't scare me away, I am stubborn if nothing else. Anywho though I would pop into the Over 50 crowd and see what was going on. I know a lot of the older flyers are into the glow. I am probably dead set on gas and 4 stroke at that..new new new. Hopefully I can learn from you guys. The forums have been awesome so far. I just am a little new to be able to help others, but you never know.

See ya round...

Keith
If it makes you feel better, me too. Got married at 38 and have a 10 and 12 YO. Already have their future planned out too. Selling the house when I hit 65, getting a motor home and hitting the road. That should give them both enough time to figure out what they are to do! They will both be in their 20's by then, and had better be on their own.