RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Rascal 168 Build and Kit review
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 PM
wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
That video is not of Crunch's plane. I was at the fly in with him, and he didn't exert more than average forces on the plane when he flew there. That video was someone elses plane with a much larger engine on it. As stated by others, this plane, when built by the book will never get off the ground with the recommended power plant. Even with a 100CC on the nose it requires 7 pounds of lead.

When he flew it, I was keeping a close eye on the wings and they were flapping. There is no doubt in my mind that this plane must have struts, the first video of the wing coming apart on a standard turn, the wing flapping I saw, and then subsequent failure are proof.

Regardless of how big the engine is, whether it is a 60cc or 85cc, the amount of weight needed to balance it, and the way it flew, that wing would have snapped. Even with the triangle stock I added and other structural improvements, I am skeptical that the spar will hold without the struts I made.

Unless you were there to see it, or have built and flown one of these, don't arm chair quarterback what you don't know about.

This kit is a really nice building kit, but there is an obvious flaw in the wing design, and there definitely needs to have some modifications done to the kit to address the overly heavy tail.

As it sits now, I have lost complete interest in the plane and feel like I pissed away a couple grand now that could have been better spent. If SIG doesn't come up with a fix for this to rebuild my confidence, then chances are, I won't be buying another SIG for quite some time.
If that's the case then it seems pretty unreasonable of him to be taking offense at something I said about the incident in that video... all of the things I pointed out are true in that case and my comments had nothing to do with him or how he built his plane.

As far as armchair quarterbacking... give me a break, speculating about crash causes is probably 30% of the hobby for most of us and we've all drawn conclusions on WAY less information than can be found in that video because typically you can't re-watch what happened or make sure your eyes are focused on the plane at exactly the right moment.