RCU Forums - View Single Post - Battery Fire
Thread: Battery Fire
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by junksta
Reading all the cautions for lipo batteries, being new to their use, I was wondering if anyone has had a battery fire or witnessed one. I'm treating them like nitro glycerin.
I know 13 guys that have lost a house, 2 garages, camper, motor home, van, 2 trucks, 1 car, couple jets and 2 fingers due to LIPO fires or spontaneously combusting LIPO'S. The guy that lost some finger tips had 1 ignite in his hand and it was like he was holding 200 kid sparklers that were all going at the same time. Lipo's should not be left alone, especially while charging. I have personally had 1 go nuclear when all I did was unplug it from my jet and was removing it to install in another jet. Unless you are flying EDF and need the brute strength of a battery, there are many other alternatives than using a LIPO. Do your research and due diligence so you do not become a statistic. There is a whole thread in the Jet section about all the lipo fire losses guys have had. I have a saying about LIPO's, " it is not a matter of IF it will go nuclear, it is a matter of WHEN it will go. I also know some guys are going to chime in and say they are safe because they never had a problem but that is what all 13 guys I know said the same thing, until they took a big fire loss. ALSO, these so called fire boxes for charging??? A LIPO will burn right through most of them. Check YouTube for LIPO fire video, they are pretty spectacular when they ignite.