RCU Forums - View Single Post - Longest service interval-which turbine?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 03:20 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

My reasoning for what I said is for the following. There are only two companies that I am aware of that give a "Life Time Warranty". I have flown one of them with a student. They seem to do a lot of R&D in the field. Had a buddy buy a brand new one this year here on the field, and had to send it in for repairs after two runs. Yeah, it had the "Life Time Warranty", but he lost flying on his new jet for a month, cost of shipping, etc. And, I actually think he had to send it in again before he maiden the jet. Not a fun first experience for that owner. The other engines on the market are mostly 2 or 3 year warranties or 25 hours, which ever comes first. I see the math, but I do think that it does take more then 150 flights between the 25 hours. Maybe 200-250. I am talking off of the cuff, but I would say that 20-25% of the engines sold per year sit on the shelf waiting for the owner to assemble his jet, or do to a true build. That engine becomes out of warranty the following year, or two if it is a 2-3 year warranty engine. And unless the owner is an aggressive flier, someone that flies more than twice a week, more than 2 flights per day, there is a low amount of flight time on that engine when the warranty runs out. I think the average pilot flies two flights per day and one day a week. If you live somewhere that you can fly year around, that is 104 flights per year. If you don't and live up North, you only have 6-9 months to put those hours on the engine. Takes longer to get to the 25 hours. To me, that is even an aggressive year per engine. The engine manufactures know, but I would guess that approx. 50% of the engines that are sold per year are wrecked prior to the 25 hours. This voids the warranty on the 2-3 year warranty engines. They get repaired, if it is cost effective, and there are parts. Depending on the pilot as to if it makes it to the next 25 hrs. I am guessing from what I understand on the "Life Time Warranty" engines, if you wreck them, you must pay for the parts to repair it back to new and pay a service fee of around $250 to "Buy back into the Warranty". But, truly don't know. Not sure if there is an additional labor charged on top of that for the wreck repair. Dirk, I think you can fill that in? Then, there is shipping to add in on some of the engines. Mine go to Germany, so there is an additional $300 per repair, and the last time I sent it there for new bearings and adjustments, cleaning, was due to the sand here according to him. Did not make it to the 25 hrs and was not wrecked. That was a $750 bar bill, plus the $300 and it comes to a $1000. Since it is a 180, it was worth fixing. I have had that engine for about 4 years, maybe longer, and it has yet to get to the 25 hours. I did notice the last time I looked, it was in the low 20's on hours. Since it had new bearings, cleaning and adjustments around 18 hours, it is good until approx. 43 hours. Another 3 or more years from now. The next repair service, it is now an outdated engine, parts may or may not be available for the next wreck or even 25 hr service. Cost more than 50% of the cost of a new one, I'll junk the engine and buy a new one. By that time, the engine won't be worth anything on the used market and I am going to run it until I wreck it or have running issues. Have two of these engines and they start ever time I am at the field. The way the industry and technology is advancing in the hobby, most older engines will not have parts, and the owner will have to purchase a new or used engine. The other approx. 50% of the engines that actually make it to the 25 hours, depending on how many years that it takes to get it to those 25 hours, it may not be worth the market value to fix it. IF the manufactures have and still make the parts. I found that out the hard way with JetCat(only company I will mention) back when I used to fly them. Had an 80 that according to Bob. W, didn't have parts to repair it, so he gladly sold me a 120. I don't like to buy a used engine, but if you wreck your engine and can't afford a new one; you have look at the cost of repair vs the used market. I don't want to have a repair bill bigger than the used market. So, this is my justification for running an out of warranty engine until it breaks.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 08-06-2017 at 04:13 PM.