RCU Forums - View Single Post - Longest service interval-which turbine?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 AM
cmp3cantrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation

Originally Posted by Jetset
Good info here, and already owning a P120 makes it even better.
If I had an extra $27,000 I'd buy a AMT Nike...but I don't! An amazing piece of kit it certainly is!!
Seriously though........I have heard the AMT's last a very long time. But regarding an earlier post, I can't imagine waiting until a turbine fails....someone could get hurt there...like fatally!
And I just don't want to throw away the engine like it's some electric foamy plane. I need to be able to use this thing for awhile.

But another thing to note, this is not going to be a flying engine, it will be in a utility type of operation and maybe running for 2-3 hours at a time.

Another point about non-flying engines is that you will need to think about heat dissipation. Turbines are not designed for long term, static, high throttle, running. The expectation is installation in an airframe that allows some through air cooling. This probably isn't an issue for the engine itself - the air flow inside the engine exceeds that on the outside - but it is an issue for the surroundings.

Also you must think about safety. A failed turbine wheel fragment closely resembles a hot bullet. Prolonged full power running in close proximity to people requires effective shielding. Steel or concrete are needed.