RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter

Wing construction is pretty simple.

The main spar is plywood with holes routed out of it. The ribs are simply inserted sideways through these holes, and then rotated until they lock into place in the spar. Very neat, very simple, and pretty close to foolproof in terms of ensuring proper alignment of each rib.

The leading edges (2 of them due to the saw-tooth at mid-span) are keyed onto the front of the ribs via notches, and the ply rear spar is similarly notched for insertion from below. The entire wing assembly can be slotted together without any glue being used, and yet it is rigid enough to pick it up off the building board so that you can inspect it.

There were a couple of mistakes that I had to correct here - but they were fairly minor. One rib was incorrectly cut and had to be replaced; also ribs R6 did not have the hole cut in them for the wing-tube. There were also some slight mistakes in the instructions, but nothing earth-shattering. Bear in mind, as I said before, that I got kit # 1 - so these minor issues are completely expected.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91054.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	70792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62659.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	70793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40578.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	51.3 KB