RCU Forums - View Single Post - Oxai Galactika unboxing, assembly, setup, maiden etc.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:34 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
A little update on the flying/competition this season:

Season started little late this year at end of May with first competition, the spring competition.
If was fun with many top pilots from both my own country and also Norway and Denmark.
Ola Fremming won the FAI F3A class, not unexpected.
My own flying was so and so but it was OK.

Early in summer it was time for "Border line cup" (where I was CD) and it was many participants from abroad this time also, from Norway, in addtiton to Swedes of course. I was also competing in FAI F3A class at this competition, rather hectic, but it worked OK with focus mainly as CD for obvious reasons.
The norwegian top pilot Ola Fremming won again.

Then it was time for the Nordic Championships in July where the national teams from Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland participated. It was a very nice event held in Denmark at "RC Parken", the nicest modelflying field I have ever seen. It was no surprise that Lassi Nurila from Finland won the FAI F3A class after the preliminary and final rounds (he got highest score in all rounds). Lassi flew a slightly modified Sensation biplane. He was kind to give me an interview efter his win that will be published in our Swedish Model Flying Federation member Magazine. My own goal at this competition was to avoid last place and I managed that (two behind me).

Last competition for the season will be in early September now, the Swedish Championship.

There are some dark clouds on the sky regarding the airfield I fly most, the authoroties want to close the airfield for usage as it is today with general aviation etc and they want the full scale club to move away from their own field (the club own both the landing strip and the hangars). It feels like David and Goliath strugle. I'm a support member in the full scale club also since I fly so much at this airfield. General aviation has flown here since early 1960th.Before that it was a Swedish Airforce war airfield during the propeller era. The authorities want the airfield to be only a "museum" since this is the last war airfield remaning from second WW II here in our country. Many hours and much money has been plowed into restoration of the whole field so it looks basically as it was during WW II. Both the historical organisation, under the supevision of the regional authorities that has set up the rules (already in 2003), and the full scale club has been at this field for many years. But now the authorities want that the historcal part to be alone at the field. Modern planes do not fit in then, non WW II hangars etc must be removed so everything must look exactly as in 1942-1945 (airfield was built in 1942) when the field was mainly in use during WW II.
I have flown model aeroplanes myself since 1973 at this airfield and I know it was already in the 1950th competitions in free flight at this airfield. Free flight competitions is banned by the way by the authorities since rather many years - do not fit in historically they say. Model flying (non competition) is so far allowed but the authorothies banned cutting of the grass at our model flying area at the airfield some years ago forcing us to the main runway for take off/landings where they have no saying since the grass there must be cut for safety reasons for the full scale aeroplanes. It is two model flying clubs using this airfield.

Last year it was held the Swedish Championships in full scale aerobatics at this field and it was a great film made at that occasion.
Here it is, link below, enjoy! Despite all talk in the video is in Swedish I hope all the great flying and persons shine through.
I had my Galactika plane at display at this great event. The pilots was very interested about the plane and had many questions about the plane and the maneouvers we fly (I had the P-17 scheduled printed beside the plane).
See last photo in post #117 above:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...l#post12256307

Lets hope the authorothies change their mind. The club at the field has a petition going on, both on paper and electronically on internet (so far over 1000 persons has signed their name).

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-14-2017 at 10:43 PM.