RCU Forums - View Single Post - Laminate vs Fiberglass... Pro's Cons and which do i choose?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM
chase.canade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HiLaminating with iron on film is what I was referring to. As many do. You Google search laminating an RC plane and you see tons on how to apply it.. like this..
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2228135

If "laminating" isn't what you call it here or it's too broad a term.. just let me know what you prefer it to be called and I'll use that term instead. Not trying to confuse anyone. It's just that's what everyone seems to be calling it on the web.. so i did too.

I was hoping you guys could tell me the pro's and cons of each. Laminating this type iron on film and perhaps another i saw but can't remember the name of at the moment. And fiberglass. Or glassing it.

How to know which to choose and when for a given bird.

How each handle a crash comparatively. And so on.

I was thinking of glassing the RVJet. I thought it might stiffen it up. Eliminate the wing flutter and flex it has as you can see in this video below in several places. Even on take off. As those wings look to have the iron on plastic film on them.

​​​​​​Range does sell the iron on laminating film for the RVJet.

As both can be laminated, as far as the wings. It seems a pretty common thing to do. Most only talk about how to apply it.
I haven't seen anything going into thickness's and choosing the right one.
Same for glassing it seems. Though i have seen mention the thickness they use. And some using polyurethane others i take it epoxy and others still other things as the resin.

Just looking for some advice is all.
Trying to learn the right way... Save some headaches figuring most mistakes have been made or done already by those that know more than i do on the subject.

Looking to be brought under a friendly wing or two so to speak...

Cheers..

Last edited by chase.canade; 08-16-2017 at 04:24 PM.