RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Rascal 168 Build and Kit review
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moutianman
Just ordered my rascal 168, question I have is. What do you like and dislike of it. Second I am making mine a float plane. Is there any good ideas on floats. Thanks

it does fly big heavy and slow but has very gentle flight characteristics i got 8 flights on mine. And i loved it. Flew mine on a DJ 85. And 9 pounds in the nose. But it flew fine. Struts are mandatory!!! If i were to build another one I would scarf the spar caps so they are more one piece. Maybe lay a thin strip of carbon fiber on top and bottom of spar then put the spar cap on. And use epoxy to glue all that together. After that its build to spec. I would also extend engine out as far as you can get a way with. To take some weight of the nose.
So you bought a great kit its easy to build and you should enjoy every flight. But to put floats. You are definitely going to need power. But I don't recommend any thing over spec but what you do is your business. If you know what i mean. Not to mention do not (and everyone will tell you ) fly this plane wit out struts!! Good luck and if you have any questions just ask there are three of us here who have built one and can answer about any thing you would like to know.
One last thing if you bought this with any kind of 3D in mind don't do it it was never designed for that. Sorry.