RCU Forums - View Single Post - Oxai Galactika unboxing, assembly, setup, maiden etc.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Yesterday after I had flown and disassembled my Galactika for transportation home in my car I discovered a crack on right wing top surface where the wing pipe end.
Today I tested to stick the carbon wing tube into this right wing and bend the tube up and down and when bending it down I can see it moved slightly at the crack.
I know another F3A pilot that has Galactika wing also on his plane and got cracks on his wings and had to cut open the wings and reinforce.
I see no other way out of this for my wings also although the left wing has no crack (yet).
I have about 500 flights on my Galactika.
I suspect it is the snaproll in the P-17 (nr 15 manouvre) that kills the wings in my case since it must be rather much force on the wings and wing-tubes then.
I talked in spring at a competition to the other guy that has Galactika wings that got cracks also and he warned me and to watch up for cracks in wing at wing tube. He showed me photos of his needed reinforcement inside wing at wing tube, and he had of course to cut up the wings to be able to reinforce.

I'm not so happy about this, I think I expected little more of Galactika build quality inside.
It seems it could be room for improvment in wing structure on Galactika wings. The wing tube is very short on Galactika and that put much stress on the tube inside the wings. It would have been better I think if a longer and little less diameter wingtube had been used.
I took a photo of the crack, see below (click to enlarge and You can see the crack), it is about 20 millimeter(0.79 inch) in length.
Compared to the wing-tube on my previous plane Sebart MythoS Pro the wing-tube on MythoS Pro is 170 mm (6.7 inch) longer.
The fuselage is wider on Galactika then on MythoS Pro at wing-tube position so effective lenght from fuselage side that go into a wing is on Galactika 145 mm and on MythoS Pro 240 mm. So it is not much length of a wing tube that go into the wing on Galactika.
I have been in doubt ever since I unpacked my Galactika from the box last year and I saw the short wing-tube it has that this is probably a source for problems sooner or later in the pipe in the wing structure. Now we have the answer, and I'm not alone with this happen on Galactika wing. Photo below of Galactika wing-tube compared to MythoS wing-tube.

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Galactika_crack_top_surface_right_wing_where_wingtube_end.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2229540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galactika_wingtube_compared_to_MythoSPro.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	2229542  

Last edited by bem; 08-27-2017 at 02:20 PM.