RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 55AX Connecting Rod Broken
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 04:59 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bolted in my AX .55 in the Astro Hog, so I am hoping for the best. It had an AX .46 and still needs noseweight. Always fun to argue with Dennis. One thing that bothers me about OS is the screws holding in the carbs. They never seem to use a pinch bolt which slips in a crash. I guess they like selling crankcases and plastic backplates. Dennis, do you have an LA .10 crankcase in your box? I have been fiddling with a control line carb on a broken case and it will work, but an undamaged case would be nice. The nickel plating, well.... Have you ever seen a CS casting? They are wonderful chinese holey sculptures. They can be made to work, but are more of an assembled kit. Uctkam Russian motors are the same marvels with sand in the castings that the drills crunch up, and the tapped holes ruin the bolts. Norvels are cool though. I don't think any motor is perfect really. I will fiddle with any of them, but buy most OS stuff used and hope they don't need parts. ASP/Magnum (same thing) XLS blue head motors are pretty good bang for the buck. I think they copied the Rossi in that case more than the OS as they used to. I worked making radar for many countries. India, as part of the contract insisted on doing some of the work themselves for cost savings. They poured the bases for the radar. It all had to be removed as it was not strong enough. It was easy to do, being pretty much all sand. My work buddy on the night shift was talking on the phone and says Hey there is an elephant walking by on the main street. i guess the rich people ride elephants to cruise the main drag. South Korea and the Chinese had a lot of contracts with us too. Similar stories, but not as extreme. I will likely get some blue head .15s or .25s soon, as Magnum is back working again. They kept me off unemployment insurance for a few years so it is the least I can do. I would do less though if I could.

Last edited by aspeed; 09-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.