RCU Forums - View Single Post - New guy, looking for direction
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MurphyLong
While I appreciate the show of bravado and blind encouragement, I'm not in the habit of destroying things, and that's what would happen, quite quickly I might add.

I prefer Nitro, just don't have as much time flying them as I wish I did. I have been trying to find some people locally who fly, but not much luck so far. As for the batteries, I would definitely be replacing them, since the ones I was given are at least 2 years old. I'll probably take them all to Batteries Plus for disposal after this tropical storm.

It's a given that upgrading to 2.4 would warrant changes on the Rx as well, just not sure if 72mhz is even a viable frequency or not.

Yeah, when I first started with the LiPo Foamies, the first 2 were pushers, and I pushed them straight into the ground. Went and bought a more "plane-like" park flyer, and things were MUCH more manageable. Turning off the "nanny" mode on the plane actually made it easier to fly, the only issue I had when I stopped flying was that I had nowhere decent to land, it was grass or gravel, so I had to learn how to "plop" it at the lowest speed possible to stop the gear from catching grass and planting the prop. Now there's a 1/4 mile long paved road in front of the house with virtually no traffic, so I will have a much easier time with landing...

I appreciate all of the input so far, and I'm thinking I may just offer up the planes for sale somewhere, to someone who may want them, I just don't know how to even value them.

With the surplus of engines I have, I will likely just turn around and invest anything I get from selling stuff into a decent Nitro trainer. My next question is, do I keep these dozen or so engines I have, or should I just sell them to someone who might need them more than I do? I'm familiar with BNF/ARF/RTF/PNF and I'm leaning towards buying something that is BNF and buying a decent Tx that can grow and learn as I do.
You'll be fine. Take the plane that you like the most and save it for last. You can already fly....you know how the controls work, you've already flown your friends trainer (which in my opinion don't fly that great at any speed, as they tend to hunt) the low wing models are point and shoot. They go where you point them. Take the model that you like the least and just make sure it's flight worthy. Taxi it around the field for a tank of fuel, get the feel of it. If you're worried about it being too fast put a low pitch propeller on the engine.

You've been given a gift, don't sell it off, use it.

​​​​​​I still roll up a kitchen trash bag and wrap a rubber band around it and tape it inside all of my models....saves me trip.

I say Go For It!!!!!