RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 04:51 PM
GeorgiaFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
Good question. Think of our Corsair propeller as an "air screw", (actually called that sometimes). The pitch of a propeller is measured this way; if the propeller was being screwed into something solid, it would move forward 18 inches after one revolution. Hence the pitch is described by that 18", or it is said to have an 18" (pitch).

The dial on a Solo prop does not translate to any particular pitch. It is really just a reference as you move the blades. The most important tool in setting your prop is a good tack. You need to set your prop to the correct RPM on your engine. Not a a certain pitch.
Agree with Gary on this one. Don't worry about the actual Pitch measurement or setting on the prop hub dial. you adjust, tighten up, run the motor and check it with a good tack meter. Keep doing this sequence until you get around 3800 rpm on the tack meter at full throttle. Then you can note the tick mark on the prop hub for future reference if you happen to loosen up the prop hub and want to get it back to the same pitch setting. This is how I setup mine and it works great, many many many flights on mine with no issues following this method of adjusting the prop pitch to the correct full throttle RPM

Cheers