RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 06:42 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Inside the booms, carbon fiber seems to run from about 4" in front of the gear bay door opening to about 6" aft

It's on the sides and about 5" wide and maybe? 6 oz cloth (hard to tell)

Starting from scratch, maybe you can build this plane a lot lighter than mine has become. VQ-38's (ARF's) had mass-produced Fowlers that worked on the same basic principle and worked really well, whereas mine required a ridiculous degree of tweaking and customization and TIME

I've always admired the way jet pilots mega-flare and seem to achieve both lift and air-braking

Maybe they're just better than I am at giving just the right amount of elevator at just the right time, but I've never been able to do that with a P-38. My approaches and touchdowns have always been shallow and fast and level and rate of descent almost purely controlled by throttle, except just enough flare to take the sting out of the last 6 inches. Just like you see in the pictures I posted.

I was surprised that moving the CG up > 1.5" resulted in a softer touchdown: the fact that I moved it solely due to respect and trust for the flyer who told me to