RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow engines are fading away
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I tend to agree, Electrics are toys, takes very little knowledge to make them work. To properly size electrics for a build, there are calculators out there. Companies are also now sizing electrics in such a way that they will be easier to compare to a glow now. There is an art to fine tuning a glow or gas engine, and the sound they make just adds to the experience, especially when it rips the prop on a fly by.

The other reason for the decline are communities banning old school RC flying because of the noise. Many of the flying fields that were around where I live are long gone, replaced either with housing, or soccer/baseball/football fields. To find a decent field you have to travel long distances away from cities. The closest to me where I fly is on a private airstrip where we lease a small section to fly off of. It is a really nice quiet area, but the strip we have is short since we don't fly off the main runway. We do fly gas, and I'm probably the only one who flies small planes, and the only one flying glow. The others just fly gas and have given me their leftover glow fuel, so I wont need to buy any for quite some time. One of the guys gave me 3 glow engines, and has a box of parts for me too. They fly DA and DLE instead.

I love the smell of Wildcat too, and that all adds to the experience.