RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire arf 95" phoenix assembly
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

This one showed up. Well packaged, no damage except the back end of the underside of the cowl. The gear look pretty cheap to me, but I'm used to pretty high-end landing gear so this Hobby King level stuff isn't exciting. If you try to compress the struts with any side-load at all, they stick (which is par-for-the-course with cheap gear). That having been said, the package seems very well worth the price. The gear held 110 psi up and down with no loss for an hour so far.

Some of the internal structure seems a bit light for the task (with hard balsa laminate versus ply), so I plan to get my CA out and do some saturating here and reinforcement with small balsa triangle stock there. These gassers sure can shake a plane, so an ounce or two of added reinforcement is OK I think.

I don't have a 60cc lying around, but I do have a DLE 55 and a 55RA. The specs indicate that the RA is bit weaker than the side-exhaust version. I wonder why? Anyway, the DLE 55 got my TF P-40 off in 60' with a steep climb-out, so I think it will at least 'fly' this size of bird.

Thoughts?