RCU Forums - View Single Post - What transmitter for tanks
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
sturmgrenadier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to building r/c vehicles (so it's understandable if some of you more seasoned r/c enthusiasts roll your eyes at my story and ignorance, and beginner questions). But, my first tank build is an Imex/Taigen Tiger I kit. It's built except I still don't have a radio system to go install and use with it. I've been waiting for the Taigen/Imex radio system to become available for several months now. I just want something simple with which to get started. I don't know what other options I have (short of waiting even longer).

Well actually, from talking with the techs at my local hobby store and reading some of the threads here, I am now of the understanding that I can use a different radio manufacturer's radio with my Tiger I kit (doesn't have to be the Imex/taigen one), but that would mean stripping out all the electronics/undoing the assembly work I've already done. And I don't really find that appealing (pride of building it was kind of a big point for me.....). Also, it would require 'reprogramming', and I don't know involved that is?

Partly because my first tank build has stalled (and partly because I really like tanks, I've been researching a second tank build project. Erik from Imex/Taigen and my local hobby store tell me that do it yourself r/c model building (including tanks) is slowly but surely dying out, though So maybe I am spitting in the proverbial wind by not buying a so-called RTR version, but I am considering putting together a Tamiya Panther G ('full option kit'). From what I'm reading here, there is no shortage of radio systems (Futaba for example) that I will be able to use with a Tamiya Panther G, correct? Thanks for enlightening a newbie here. (I didn't mean to dumb-down the more advanced discussion here).