RCU Forums - View Single Post - What transmitter for tanks
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
For the Tamiya system you can move operation of functions to a different channel on the RX, no programming is needed. This is the same for the aftermarket systems out and even the new Taigen motherboard. Unfortunately I can't help much on the Tamiya systems, one of mine was DoA and the other responds to no commands so both are useless. Luckily there are tons of people here that have lots of experience with the boards and will be able to help with that and programming as well. Also, do yourself a favor and spend just a few bucks more and do NOT run Turnigy stuff on your expensive tanks. I mean do you really want to possibly failsafe and cause an issue over an extra $5 saved? HK/Turnigy stuff is ok if you are on a budget or are using non-essential electronics in your models but I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
I would suggest the FlySky i6 radio. They are cheap ($40-45 for TX and RX), have a pretty solid RF link, super easy to use, have cheap and reliable receivers, and there is a patch/update to gain an extra 4 channels and turn it into a 10 channel radio if you wanted. The form factor is nice and it does have telemetry options as well as PWM/PPM/IBUS output.
If you want to keep your transmitter for a long time then FRSky is the way to go. Other brands in the past few years have really failed to offer such a good deal as FRSky and even FlySky. Futaba, Spektrum, JR, and all the other older brands I would recommend to anyone anymore. They have fallen WAY behind on features for the money and prices. FlySky does have one small disadvantage and that is parts availability. Sometimes you must call a dealer to get one of the extra self centering sticks but they are usually pretty cheap. I would just call who you plan on ordering the i6 from first to see if they have extra gimbals.
Do you include the 9xr and pro in the turnigy radios not to get? I thought the modules and recivers were re badged frsky?