RCU Forums - View Single Post - What transmitter for tanks
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Do you include the 9xr and pro in the turnigy radios not to get? I thought the modules and recivers were re badged frsky?
You can get modules for FRSky, but the stock RF link is not FRSky, they are the FlySky system. It might even be the pre-2A new system the FlySky uses as well, but I could be wrong. The FRSky RF link is a SUPER solid link and performs much better than others, though FlySky is pretty impressive for what it is. The FRSky system also offers much less latency than the Turnigy systems as well, you probably won't notice it in the tanks but in other applications it is something to think about.
If you already have a 9XR then it isn't a huge upgrade (radio to radio at least). However if you are comparing the two then the FRSky QX7 is the absolute winner in every way IMO. My Taranis sees 5-15 hours a week of use and I've had mine around 2-3 years now and it has never once given me an issue. In fact I'm still using the stock NIMH battery in it. You pay a few bucks more but you get a much newer and better designed transmitter with tons of replacement parts available from a local dealer (I use Aloft Hobbies) which supports our hobby. Buying from HobbyKing does the hobby no good. The amount of receivers for the FRSky system is super nice as well and low priced. Remember that If you plan to use something like the new Clark system or something that takes SBus or PPM you can get 16ch receivers for around $10 with replaceable antennae or about $13ish for replaceable diversity antennae.
I know I sound like a salesman for FRSky but I've never had a friend with one fail for no reason or not perform like it should (At least 10 of my buddies use either the X9D+ or QX7). They are super reliable, there is literally TONS of information and videos on it. runs OpenTX, all replacement parts available or repair services cheap, mods available (I have a 3W Visaton speaker in mine to play music while I play), RSSI built in all receivers, telemetry options, redundancy capabilities that allow you to run multiple receivers, multiplexing to have 32ch with 2 receivers, a PC app to change settings and upload firmware, voice capability in all models, and much more. It is the only transmitter I trust and will use for my important models anymore. It was the best $200 I've spent in the hobby and I'm so happy I did. The QX7 does everything the X9D+ does just with a newer and updated layout. I am not a big fan of Spektrum, I know of only 2 people that use them and they are limited to a few hundred meters before range issues and that was with carbon fiber, not the metal containers our receivers usually sit in. They feel great in the hands don't get me wrong and your hobby shop will always recommend them (as that is all they usually carry) but what you get for the money is pathetic compared to even a FlySky in terms of features. Even Futaba has fallen behind which makes me sad.
Either way you go, FRSky or Spektrum it can do what you want. The Taranis will have a bit steeper learning curve than the Spektrum radios but offers a lot more flexibility. If you don't want to program at all then probably a FlySky is a good option. I actually like the FlySky radios a lot, if the i10 ran OpenTX then that is a game changer. To each his own