RCU Forums - View Single Post - CG located on fuselage?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 07:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffEE
SO... would this airframe have its CG somewhere between the wings? I ask because I am in the first steps of altering a Balsa USA kit into the Fokker V8. But the CG position has put a stop to the bash for now.

jeffEE What a wonderful challenge and subject for a kit bash, I have always loved the more unusual subjects and have great respect for the wonderful art of the kit bash simple or major so please do not give up for now. Yes I am certain that the CG for that experimental Fokker with the triplane bay all the way forward and the biplane bay well aft of the pilot would would indeed have the CG somewhere between the two. Even with the horizontal tail surface and apparently an elevator bringing up the rear this airplane is far closer to a tandem wing airplane than a conventional multi plane aircraft.

Rather than shelve the project do give some thought to the idea of using simple stick chuck gliders to experiment with CG locations. Even though it uses triplane front bays and the biplane aft bay, since neither uses any stagger then it would still be useful to substitute monoplane surfaces for the stick to work out useful CG's. I would just try to acheve the same relative positions of the three surface as well as planforms, areas and relative positioning of the three surfaces.

I wish you well and please do not give up

John