RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top RC Zero from Gator R/C
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimkron
1. Just a guess...very hot...230f+ in the air. Deadsticks did not have telemetry.
2. Honestly, very little that we could tell after two flights.
3. Yes 15:1. Using 95 octane non-ethanol gas Sunoco Optima. Oil is Morgan synthetic. https://www.horizonhobby.com/hp-lubr...-oil-qt-coo500
Jim,

I just stumbled across this thread. Be careful with that oil. I exploded (broken rods) with 2 Ray modified 84cc on that oil.Name:  p.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  3.1 KB

We didn't depart on good terms especially when he question what oil I was using when I returned the second broken one to him..He pretty much called me a liar.

I now a have the stock 84cc living in a topflite fw-190 that has similar cowl airflow issues if not worse that the Zero. I am using the baffles also with on a one hole in the bottom.

I am using redline oil but I have witness the stock motors with over 100 flights using klotz also.

I have figured out the way to make any of them live is the right oil and running rich. I believe the Ray mod allows all cylinders to fire at a much leaner setting but that takes away the lubrication to the rods and internals.

My needles are at 4.5 and 6.5 high side..It will not start and run if I lean either one. I get temps under 200 after a 10 min hard flight in 90 degree weather. I tuned mine using a infrared temp gun with the cowl off. It will cool down going to full throttle..

I have burned at least 10+ gallons thru mine and not a single problem. If you haven't seen the video I also run the 24x12 prop like you and my Telemetry shows it turning over 7600 rpm in the air. Ray told me that the engine wouldn't live pass 6400 rpm. You be the judge for your self. I love the video and the sound of your zero.