RCU Forums - View Single Post - SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice plane. Haven't heard of that one in years. A 30cc gasser ought to be about perfect. I might be interested in buying a copy of those plans from you; I always wanted to build one but never got around to it. It was considered a BIG airplane back in the day...

Regards your Syssa's. Bearings are not as specialized as people think. Engine makers use standard off the shelf bearings. All you have to do is measure the o.d., the i.d., and the width, then go to Boca Bearings and look up your bearings by size, and order them. Boca has great bearings, a huge inventory, and great service. They also carry the seals too; once again determined by size. If you order from them, just get their standard bearings. Their standard bearings are better than what many engine manufacturers use. They carry many higher quality, exotic bearings, but just their standard bearings are more than adequate for our use, and are actually an upgrade to many of our engines, especially the Chinese engines.

Piston rings can also be bought from several custom ring makers at reasonable costs. With just a little patience and a cheap hole punch kit from Harbor Freight, you can easily make replacement gaskets. So, unless you overheat an engine or run it without oil and ruin the piston and cylinder, or severely damage the crankcase or crankshaft in a crash, you can keep an out of production engine going nearly indefinitely. You're not likely to ever wear out the piston and cylinder in normal use; only possibly the ring(s), and even that would take a LOT of flying use as long as the engine gets clean air. (Planes flown off dirt should really use air filters.)

I'm guessing this info might make you feel a bit better about your engines. There is even someone lurking in these forums that I believe has machined new pistons for them on a "one off" basis.

Good luck with your Lazy Ace. How about a video of it?? Did you post a build thread of it somewhere?

AV8TOR