RCU Forums - View Single Post - NMF P-47 tail: zinc chromate or not?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Radial power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Looks like bare metal to me. Take a look at the Flying Heritage Collection P-47 in detail. It's one of the finest restored P-47's in the world. The photo of the bare metal P-47 with the blue stripe looks like one I took years ago. I've studied that plane up close many times and you can't go wrong with following its details. It's a factory original replica restoration.

Which kit are you building?
Hello,

I'm using a Top Flite Giant P-47 kit as a base, but I'm going to modify it quite a bit to make it more scale-like. Probably the most important modification will be a revised wing structure to move the landing gear in the scale location. But, as I said, I'm still working on the tail details (elevator linkage, to be precise), so I'm very far from even starting the wings.

As I mentioned earlier, here in Italy we don't have any P-47s on display. As far as I know there should be one at the Vigna di Valle museum (near Rome), but it is has not been available for display for a few years (always AFAIK). And even if it were it would be a 400km trip each way, so I'd have to be damn sure that I find what I need when I get there
That's why I bought some documentation and then searched the internet for any good photo that I could find. That's where, among all the others that I saved, I found a set of pictures about that thunderbolt that I posted ("Tallahassee Lassie" if I got the spelling right ). Honestly I don't remember where I found that picture, but if it was you who took it, then let me say thank you very much

Best regards,

Andrea