RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow engines are fading away
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Mark Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Many people equate spark ignition with gasoline fuel. BUT... Some folks use glow fuel with spark ignition too - which is what I would do -IF- if I converted some to ignition. BUT - the added cost of the ignitions is a turn-off; for the price of a couple or few ignition units and spark plugs, I can buy a gallon of nitro and a 5gal pail of methanol
and probably some oil too for the same price or cheaper.
Yes, they do.

But it's not the ignition that causes the difference in power, it's the characteristics of the fuel - calorific value and fuel/air ratio. It's part (but not all) of the reason why 'nitro' works - it makes the engine even thirstier (an even higher fuel/air ratio) than it is on straight methanol, so you get more power.

OS now make some gasoline engine that use glow plugs, which is the opposite way around. But they are 'special' glow plugs. I won't buy one, I was fool enough once to buy the OS Wankel engine. When they stopped making the first version they stopped making the special plugs it needed too, and unlike the 'mark 2' version it won't go on regular plugs. So I am stuck with a perfectly good engine but I can't get a plug for it.

OS aren't going to catch me like that a second time