RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow engines are fading away
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Powell
Yes, they do.

But it's not the ignition that causes the difference in power, it's the characteristics of the fuel - calorific value and fuel/air ratio. It's part (but not all) of the reason why 'nitro' works - it makes the engine even thirstier (an even higher fuel/air ratio) than it is on straight methanol, so you get more power.

OS now make some gasoline engine that use glow plugs, which is the opposite way around. But they are 'special' glow plugs. I won't buy one, I was fool enough once to buy the OS Wankel engine. When they stopped making the first version they stopped making the special plugs it needed too, and unlike the 'mark 2' version it won't go on regular plugs. So I am stuck with a perfectly good engine but I can't get a plug for it.

OS aren't going to catch me like that a second time
I know exactly what you mean. I bought one OS engine (cheaply) just to see if they were up to the hype. So far it runs no different or better than comparable engines - so far the liner hasn't peeled. I have a true chrome liner that I'm going to fit to that engine that should be worry free for many years. Since my first OS purchase, I had been given several OS engines - I've kept most of them to put them to the test. Really though, I'll end up selling most or all of them at some point to free up funds to buy more desirable (to me) engines. I really need to get an Enya 36-4C diesel for an upcoming project.