RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Have Unbuntu Light (Lubuntu) installed on all my computers. It is Ubuntu with the LXDE desktop (menu resembles Windows 98, which BTW was easier to use). It has given me far fewer problems than Windows.

Recently I bought a new Lenovo N22 11.5" netbook. It came with 4gb RAM, decent sized 64gb solid state hard disk and WIndows 10. For one, I tried to back up the OS software onto a portable USB DVD writer. Their backup program was very slow, took over an hour to write one 4gb dvd disk. The program is so basic that it doesn't tell you how many disks are required, nor how long it will take. I clicked on the wrong action button after doing several dvd's, which required me to start over from the beginning. There are no safety questions to ask you if you really want to exit. After wasting a couple days and over 8 ruined wasted dvd's, I let it write the backup to a micro-SD card. It took a whole afternoon to write a backup file, final size 25gb. Apparently it backed up everything included the bundled office suite and others, which can be unlocked once you fork over additional cash over half the cost of the netbook.

Apparently the backup has no capability to compress files, and it must be written in a higher level language like visual basic to be such a slug, and must have been included as an afterthought.

To make a long story short, after using WIn10 for a couple months, I didn't like it. It's user interface is odd, administrative tasks aren't straight forward; it's a money hole, to do anything besides browse the net required purchasing additional software, plus it is sluggish.

I wiped the HD clean, now it runs Lubuntu. It starts up and shuts down quick. LibreOffice suite is free and does all I want, and I can play all my media including mp3's and dvds. Now I have decent portable PC.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 11-27-2017 at 08:12 AM.