RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting back into RC. - Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Jonbass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into RC. - Where to start?

I’m new to the forum.
My wife and I were talking about what to get our 6 year old son for Christmas. We wanted something that he could do independently but also something he and I could do together. I suggested an RC car (maybe one for me too! &#128513, started doing research, and immediately got overwhelmed.
I really enjoyed RC cars when I was a kid but the last one I had was a Tamiya Fox and my charger hooked directly to my car battery.... late ‘80s...
Is there a good resource that explains the different types of cars, batteries, chargers, advantages/disadvantages etc? A starters guide?
Here are some things I am wondering about.
1) We live in the Yukon so I don’t have a local hobby store and will do most of my shopping online. Can anyone suggest dependable shops to deal with? Preferably Canadian to avoid delays and costs with customs.
2) Things to consider for the car or truck I would get:
a) We have long winters so a lot of driving will be on packed snow/ice so it needs to be fairly water and cold resistent
b) Batteries - if my son and I each get an RC vehicle, it would be nice to get something with compatible batteries so we could have a few kicking around.
c) Durability - We are a long way from hobby shops so it would be nice to not be breaking stuff constantly and good to have vehicles with easily obtained replacement parts. ( If you have vehicle suggestion, are there extra parts I should order in advance?). It sounds like Traxxas parts are pretty easy to get.
d) Upgrading - Part or the fun is driving the cars and part of the fun is working on them. I would like cars that you can modify and upgrade. I used to like painting up car bodies.(I had a poorly fitting 69 Camaro body for my Fox back in the day...I think it was a 69...). Some models might be better for adding an aftermarket body to.

Anyways, if anyone can suggest anything to me, it would be great. I know it is subjective but I’m guessing there is a lot of experience on this forum. Brands/models, Monster truck vs buggy, 4WD vs 2WD.
I need to get shopping in the next few days if it is going to arrive by Christmas. Haha!
Thanks in advance.
Jon